Thursday, March 29, 2007

Pace

Sometimes, as fast as you want to get where you're going, the world around you just slows you down. Every redlight along the way switches on as you approach. People pull out in front of you, then creep along at half the speed you want to go. Though you want to run down the hall or sidewalk, slow-walkers teeter into your path at strategic points, forcing you to match their excruciating pace. And there's just nothing you can do about it but smile, have patience, and accept it. That's exactly how this week has been for me. Everywhere I go and everything I do, someone or something slows me down. It's been driving me crazy...but I guess I just have to quit fighting it. What else can I do? It's much like my writing career, in fact. I've done a lot of good work, and I've made a lot of the right moves, but my progress seems nonexistent most of the time. I want it to all come together right NOW, with no further delays...but there's only so much I can do. The rest of it, like the redlights, erratic drivers, and super-slow walkers, is out of my control. I wonder if I'll ever manage not to let it drive me so crazy?

No comments: